What is SCCU?
We are a member-owned, not-for-profit financial institution. Members elect a volunteer board of directors to oversee the Credit Union, and because members own SCCU, members have a say in how we do business. We always strive to make positive changes while keeping our Credit Union a safe, sound, and responsible financial institution.
The philosophy of SCCU today is the same as that of its original founders. We are committed to provide competitive financial services to our field of membership in a safe, sound and friendly manner that will encourage the membership to come to the Credit Union for all their financial needs.
Come by today and see that we really are "People Helping People!"
Our Mission Statement
We advance financial peace of mind within our community.
1954: Eisenhower was president, gas was 10 cents per gallon, and poodle skirt and flat-tops were popular. Everything from TVs to vehicles was becoming more affordable to the average person.
In southeast Tennessee, the Chattanooga DuPont Plant was one of the area’s largest employers, hiring people from all over the tri-state region. Some of these people began to see the need for a different kind of financial institution – one that would meet the financial needs of all employees, including those with limited means. Recognizing that credit unions embraced the philosophy of “people helping people,” the wheels were set in motion.
Feb. 26, 1954: The Chattanooga DuPont Nylon Employees Credit Union was organized and chartered.
Since those early days, many events have taken place that have shaped Scenic Community Credit Union into the strong financial institution it is today:
March 1983: The Credit Union merged with the Alsimag and Green Charger Credit Unions.
April 1984: The Credit Union changed its name to Dupont Community Credit Union (DCCU), and membership was opened up to anyone who lived or worked in Hamilton County, TN.
Dec. 15, 1984: The grand opening of the Hixson Pike office, which would become the main branch.
June 1988: Signal Knitting Mills Credit Union merged with DCCU.
Jan. 1999: Dixie Group Federal Credit Union merged with DCCU.
Oct. 27, 1997: Our East Brainerd office was opened in the Concorde Center at 7550 East Brainerd Road.
Feb. 1, 2007: Our Soddy Daisy office was opened at 8821 Consolidated Drive.
Dec. 12, 2011: Our Ooltewah office was opened at 9227 Lee Highway.
2011-2012: Membership was opened up to those in Hamilton, Marion, and Sequatchie Counties in Tennessee, and Catoosa, Dade, and Walker Counties in Georgia.
April 1, 2015: Dupont Community Credit Union changed its name to Scenic Community Credit Union, which is still in effect today. This change was made in order to reflect our community-centric identity.