About Scenic Community Credit Union

In 1954, the Chattanooga DuPont Plant was one of southeast Tennessee’s largest employers, hiring people from all over the tri-state region. Some of these people saw the need for a different kind of financial institution – one that could meet the financial needs of all its employees, including those with more limited means. Recognizing that credit unions embraced the philosophy of “people helping people,” the wheels were set in motion. On February 26, 1954, the Chattanooga DuPont Nylon Employees Credit Union was organized and chartered.
 
Since then, many changes have shaped Scenic Community Credit Union into the strong financial institution it is today. Mergers and expansions have allowed us to serve a larger group of people better than ever before. But our philosophy is the same as that of the original founders: we strive to advance financial peace of mind within our community.
We advance financial peace of mind within our community.

Community Involvement

At SCCU, we know that communities thrive when we support each other. That’s why we are proud to support dozens of local organizations and events annually. In addition to sponsoring events, our employees also enjoy volunteering. Make sure to say hello if you ever see us around! See some of the organizations we support below:
 
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Chattanooga logo.
 
The Ronald McDonald House of Chattanooga provides a “home away from home” for families of seriously ill or injured children and supports programs that im­prove the health, education, and well-being of children. SCCU supports the Ronald McDonald House annually by collecting travel size toiletry items for residents in the spring, and has sponsored the Karen Lawrence Run and other events in the past.
 
Bethel Bible Village logo.
Bethel Bible Village provides residential care and education to children and youth whose families are in crisis and are unable to care for them. Kids and youth at Bethel not only get to continue their schooling, but are able to do that in a calm, supportive environment so that they can eventually rejoin their families. SCCU supports Bethel by sponsoring and volunteering for a few of their annual fundraising events.
 
Northside Neighborhood House logo.
The Northside Neighborhood House “provides a hand up through education and assistance” to residents north of the river in Chattanooga. Some of their initiatives include Emergency Direct Assistance, after-school and adult education, and a thrift store with three locations. SCCU supports the Northside Neighborhood House by sponsoring and promoting their annual fundraising events.
 
 
Credit Unions for Kids logo.
 
In their own words: “Credit Unions for Kids is the brand through which the credit union movement raises funds for our industry’s charity of choice, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.” SCCU’s Children’s Miracle Network Hospital is Children’s Hospital at Erlanger, and we raise funds for them every year through the sale of chocolate bars in the spring. You can also support this initiative by applying for an SCCU Believe Card.
 
Those are just a few of the local organizations SCCU supports. Stay up to date on events by checking back here!

History

1986 photo of employees in front of the credit union's Hixson office grand opening.1954: Eisenhower was president, gas was 10 cents per gallon, and poodle skirt and flat-tops were popular.  Everything from TVs to vehicles was becoming more affordable to the average person. 
 
In southeast Tennessee, the Chattanooga DuPont Plant was one of the area’s largest employers, hiring people from all over the tri-state region.  Some of these people began to see the need for a different kind of financial institution – one that would meet the financial needs of all employees, including those with limited means.  Recognizing that credit unions embraced the philosophy of “people helping people,” the wheels were set in motion.
 
Feb. 26, 1954: The Chattanooga DuPont Nylon Employees Credit Union was organized and chartered.
 
Since those early days, many events have taken place that have shaped Scenic Community Credit Union into the strong financial institution it is today:
 
Newspaper article titled "Community Credit Union opens" with picture.March 1983: The Credit Union merged with the Alsimag and Green Charger Credit Unions.
 
April 1984: The Credit Union changed its name to Dupont Community Credit Union (DCCU), and membership was opened up to anyone who lived or worked in Hamilton County, TN.
 
Dec. 15, 1984: The grand opening of the Hixson Pike office, which would become the main branch. The photos you see in this section are from the 1984 main office Grand Opening.
 
June 1988: Signal Knitting Mills Credit Union merged with DCCU.
 
Jan. 1999: Dixie Group Federal Credit Union merged with DCCU.
 
Oct. 27, 1997: Our East Brainerd office was opened in the Concorde Center at 7550 East Brainerd Road.
 
1986 signs says Dupont Community Credit Union.Feb. 1, 2007: Our Soddy Daisy office was opened at 8821 Consolidated Drive.
 
Dec. 12, 2011: Our Ooltewah office was opened at 9227 Lee Highway.
 
2011-2012: Membership was opened up to those in Hamilton, Marion, and Sequatchie Counties in Tennessee, and Catoosa, Dade, and Walker Counties in Georgia.
 
April 1, 2015: Dupont Community Credit Union changed its name to Scenic Community Credit Union, which is still in effect today.  This change was made in order to reflect our community-centric identity.