March 1, 2021
One of the many perks of advancing in years is scoring great deals on all kinds of purchases and expenses. Here are five places you may not already know about where older adults can save big money:
1. Amazon Prime
Older adults who have valid EBT cards, or are on Medicaid, are eligible for Amazon Prime at just $5.99 a month. Compared to the $12.99 regular cost, that saves you more than half at just $84 annually.
2. Auto insurance
Many auto insurance providers reward years of safe driving with discounts for policyholders who are age 55-plus. Be sure to shop around for the best deal or to ask your current provider if you qualify for a discount.
3. Dining out
Dozens of national restaurant chains offer discounts, or even freebies, for older adults. Why pay full price when dining out (or ordering takeout, in the era of COVID) when you don’t have to?
Here are just a few chains that offer discounts:
- Applebee’s: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60-plus)
- Arby’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- Burger King: 10% off (60-plus)
- Chili’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- Dunkin’ Donuts: 10% off or free donut with coffee purchase (55-plus)
- IHOP: 10% off (55-plus)
- KFC: Free small drink with any meal (55-plus)
- Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50-plus)
- McDonald’s: Varies by location; most provide discounted beverages (55-plus)
- Subway: 10% off (60-plus)
- Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages (65-plus)
- Village Inn: 10% off (55-plus)
- Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60-plus)
- Wendy’s: 10% off (55-plus)
- White Castle: 10% off (62-plus)
Ask your local restaurants whether they have a senior discount, too.
4. Cellphone plans
Of course, Scenic Community Credit Union members of any age can get exclusive discounts on Tracfone, Net10, Total Wireless, and more with Love My Credit Union Rewards. But if you’ve lived through bell-bottoms and Beatlemania, there are even more options for you to get your cell phone plan for less!
Verizon offers its 55+ Senior Phone Plan with unlimited talk, text and data for up to two lines, at just $60 for one line and $80 for two lines. T-Mobile offers a similar Unlimited 55+ Discount Plan starting at just $27.50 per line per month, and AT&T offers its famous bare-bones Senior Nation plan at $29.99 a month for adults aged 65-plus.
5. Discounts at apparel stores
Whether you’re spending the afternoon at the mall or browsing the new season’s selections from the comfort of your couch, don’t forget the discount!
- Banana Republic Discounts: 10% off (50-plus)
- Bealls Outlet: 15% off on Mondays (50-plus)
- Belk: 20% off most purchases on Tuesdays, or 15% on home and shoes (55-plus)
- Burkes Outlet: 15% off on Mondays and Fridays (50-plus)
- Dressbarn: 10% off Tues. and/or Wed. (varies by location – 55-plus)
- Kohl’s: 15% off on Wednesdays (60-plus)
6. Member Plus Share Draft
Did you know that members age 55 and up are eligible for a premium SCCU checking account? The Member Plus Share Draft for members 55 and up includes all of the benefits of a basic checking account, plus more:
- Earn interest on your checking when you maintain a balance of at least $100
- 10% discount on every check order
- 2 free money orders or cashier's checks per year
- $4 monthly service fee ONLY IF balance falls below $100 at any time during the month
To open a Member Plus Share Draft, just give us a call at (423) 875-6955 or visit your closest branch.
Reaching the other side of 50 can come with benefits like grandchildren, a relaxed pace of life, and of course, lots of great discounts. Don’t forget to cash in on your special savings the next time you shop.