Scammers always ramp up their efforts around the holidays. Whether you're shopping online or in person this year, here are some tips to help you keep your money safe.
- Sign up for transaction alerts to monitor for unauthorized transactions.
- Pay attention to emails, links, and websites. Think before you click!
- Don’t open attachments with special offers. It’s a classic scam. The offer should be in the email and you should be able to see it right away.
- Avoid entering card information on web forms (could be malware installed). Use your stored payment information when possible with services like Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay.
- Ensure home computers, laptops, and mobile devices are protected with antivirus, anti-spyware, and a firewall.
- Use well-known websites for online purchasing.
- Go directly to the website rather than through social media website advertisements.
- Be cautious for skimming or shimming devices when using ATMs or gas pumps. For gas pumps, try to use the pump closest to the entrance door as they are less likely to be a target for skimmers.
- Review and monitor your accounts daily with Online Banking and report any discrepancies immediately. If you think your SCCU card number might have been stolen, give us a call at (423) 875-6955.
At SCCU, we take your security very seriously. If you'd like to open an account with us, you can apply here today. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season this year and every year.